During the next event of Bohdan Hawrylyshyn School on Policy Making and Development of Civil Society held on April 18, 2016, issues of direct democracy, decentralization and conflict solving in multicultural society of Switzerland were discussed.
The following invited expert were the key speakers of the event:
- Guillaume Scheurer, Swiss Ambassador to Ukraine;
- Andreas Lander, Professor of Institut de hautes études en administration publiqueIDHEAP in Lausanne;
- Christian Brechbühl, Mayor of the city of Murten, Fribourg Canton.
Traditionally, opening speech belonged to the President of the oundation Dr. Bohdan Hawrylyshyn. The event was moderated by Maksym Yakovlev, political expert, docent at Politology Department at the National University “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”.
The event was held at the Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine and gathered about 100 participants.
It was organized jointly by Bohdan Hawrylyshyn Foundation and Swiss Embassy in Ukraine.
Few notes and thoughts recorded during the school:
- The three pillars on which Swiss politics stands are federalism, democracy of consensus, direct democracy. It is important that one authority can not concentrate a lot of powers in That is the principle of separation of powers.
- It is equally important that people of different nationalities, religious backgrounds, languages (so called cross-cutting cleavages) take part in managing local affairs.
- Despite the fact that most Swiss do not believe their system is perfect, Bohdan Hawrylyshyn shared conviction is convinced that Switzerland could become a governance model for the global systems.
- Direct Democracy requires mentally mature people. The Swiss do not expect that someone will be good for them to govern Canton or town. They are involved in the process and monitor politicians’ performance of their function.
- As the local government receives funding from residents, but not from the central authorities, local officials are accountable to residents and try to do everything to please them.
And finally an interesting idea from H.E. Ambassador Scheurer:
“As a diplomat I know there is no need to answer questions, one needs to communicate a message”.
Алла Данильчук, учасниця програми “Молодь змінить Україну”
Катерина Бекреньова, прес-секретар фонду